Skip to Main

U.S. State Department (Foreign Travel)

Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed. The State Department can help answer questions about traveling abroad.

Some countries require a minimum six months of passport validity before entering their country. Before leaving the U.S., travelers may be required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay. For a list of countries with this requirement, please visit Americans Traveling Abroad.

Below are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with this agency:

I will be traveling to the abroad next month. How can I find out if it is safe for me to go?

With the global economy constantly changing, you should check with the State Department to find out the most current public information available before traveling outside of the U.S.

To find out detailed, updated information on travel warnings and public information, visit the Travel Page at the U.S. Department of State website.

I will be going abroad this summer with my family. Will we need certain vaccinations?

Many countries require travelers to get vaccines against certain diseases.

To find out if your travel plans require a vaccination or to find other travel warnings, please visit the Travel Page at the U.S. Department of State website.

I will be traveling to several countries this summer. I’ve got a passport, but are there any other entry requirements that I need to be aware of?

Every country’s entry requirements can be different. You should inquire about entry visas for each country you will be visiting.┬áVisit the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs for information on entry requirements.

If you would like my help with State Department issue, please print and fill out my Privacy Release Form with a brief summary of your case and any supporting documentation and fax or mail it to my office.